Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is It Trust or.....is it just plain laziness?

hmm.....I kept asking myself these questions over the past 3 nights.

Yeap, I am doing the night shifts these week. Someone has got to do it...and it so happened to be my turn this time.

I am not complaining about it...

But I somehoe dread going into the shifts.

I mean, no one can predict how busy it is going to be....what sort of disaster is going to happen.... or whether it is going to be a quiet night (oh no, I said the dreaded Q-word!).

But, but, what really bothers me is my senior colleague I am working with.

Senior Colleague's name is J.

J is a medical registrar. So J has to oversee everything in the hospital. He is the boss at night, second to the consultant who is on-call from home. Yes, so J's responsibility is HUGE.

So I really wonder, how come J goes to bed every single night of these shifts from about 1 am to 6 am?? J has left me with all the acute admissions during that time. If it is a ok night, I really do not mind at all. But when there are 10 people on the board waiting to be seen, and more to come...surely, J should help out, no?

J is the registrar, yes, I know that.

But, this is the first time I'm working with J. So, J doesn't know whether I know what to do, whether I am careless or careful...etc.

So the question is.....Does J really trust me so much that he has left me with all the admissions? Or, is J just plain lazy? When J wakes up later, he will just say," Oh there were more admissions this morning, eh? Everything ok?"

Hmm...I don't know. I want to say that he trusts me. But deep down, I think there is a tiny bit of laziness there.

4 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Do you REALLY wonder? Even if J trusts you, J must surely know that you need help at times. What I would like to know is whether or not whoever is over J realizes that J sleeps during duty hours.

sl said...

@Snowbrush:

No....no one above J knows about it.

Snowbrush said...

Well, I'm sorry. I might tell them, but then I can't say that it would be for the best. Sometimes, employers keep workers they know aren't good workers for reasons known only to themselves.

sl said...

i have to admit that i was tempted to do so as well...but i thought it wouldn't be the best. moreover, that was j's last week in the hospital.