Sunday, September 06, 2009

Come and gone...

I'm feeling quite sad at the moment. Mum, Dad and Bro came to visit for 2 weeks...and I sent them to the airport this morning. I just couldn't believe how fast the time flies when you're enjoying yourself.
We actually didn't do much. The weather was not good at all....it was raining everyday of the week, except on Wednesday. We saw the shy sun for about 2 to 3 hours most evenings. The wind was very strong and chilly too. But anyhow, we managed to make a few short trips to the surrounding area.
First stop, was Glasgow. I know I just moved down from Glasgow...somehow, this town is very charming. I honestly miss Glasgow. I miss the good food, the lovely cafes, the hussle bussle of Buchanan/Sauchiehall Street, the Scottish pipers....and the Accent! yeap......I miss hearing them say "cannae," "doon," "wee."

I took my family to savour the delicious Rumours cafe (malaysian cafe) in Glasgow....The wa tan hor made my day. The next day, I took them to eat brunch at Berits n Browns. Mum & dad were intrigued by the pancakes with bacon....and I must say, they were impressed with it!


On Wednesday, when it was sunnier, we decided to make a trip to Alnwick Castle and Garden. I was NOT impressed at all. Firstly, I paid 18.50 pounds each to enter...and the garden was not THAT pretty. I heard alot of good things about the garden....but I was rather disappointed. Guess I went in with high expectations. I had seen more beautiful gardens than this, and paid half the price to enter!

The only beautiful thing in the garden was the fountain cascade. The Castle was better though. It was huge, and well-maintained. We visited the part of the castle that was used for the filming of Harry Potter.

Alnwick Castle (this was where Harry Potter was filmed)

The rest of the week was spent driving to nearby towns, such as Durham, York, Redcar, Whitby and Scarborough. We kind of just visit the main attraction in each town...and spent time sitting down in a cafe sipping coffee, or eating dinner.

Scarborough was rather interesting. Guess most people will know of Scarborough from the song sang by Simon and Garfunkel. The beach was not bad. I was amazed by the local people there, who were half-naked on the beach, exposing their body to the strong chilly wind. They were also dipping themselves in the sea?! It was so cold!!! And I could not see any sign of a shiver on their faces or body!!!

Anyway, the highlight of the trip to Scarborough was the food. I managed to convince my parents to share an ice-cream with me. They would prefer to drink a hot cup of tea than eat something icy! Guess what I got?


Yeah!!! Let me introduce you to the Mega Treat ice-cream! There were 6 flavours in it...and boy, it was good! Dad was shivering halfway through the ice-cream, but insisted on eating more...haha.


Good times.....wished they could come up more often. Its back to reality for me. Its a long week ahead for me...but I'm sure it will pass quite quickly.

No comments: