Friday, April 18, 2008

Takut lah...

With reference to my previous entry, I had to face my fear yesterday.

A patient died peacefully in one of the wards. It was 10 pm at night, and I was asked to certify her death.

At first, I didn't think much about it......until, I stepped into the room. There I saw a pale, white female patient, lying on the bed, with her eyes closed and her mouth gaped open. As I approached her body, the scene from The Orphanage suddenly flashed in front of my eyes.

Honestly, I kind of felt scared. As silly as it may sound, I was actually SERIOUSLY worried that she would grab my hand when I auscultate her chest to listen for any heart or breath sounds. Takutlah....

So I hesitated for awhile. I was rather tempted to ask if the nurse would accompany me in the room. However, I reassured myself that she is definately dead, and stop acting like a small kid. Before touching her body, I introduced myself to the dead body and explained what I was going to do. The 3 minutes that I took to certify her death, felt forever!!

*phew I left the room hurriedly and was really glad that the body did not wake up from the dead!

No comments: