Saturday, December 08, 2007

You Have a Mental Health Problem

Only a few days into psychiatry, I already have an uncomfortable feeling about it. I don't know. I think it is not easy getting information from these patients, because, the first thing they want from me is trust. It is certainly not easy for them to trust me, especially when they have a mental health problem.

Getting the history from them has been really challenging. A patient today explained that he has made a video of himself and this video, has been shown worldwide. When asked about the content of the video, he replied, "I know you have seen the video. I am not going to talk about it." Then, on a different occasion, I asked him if he has been hearing abnormal voices. He said, "Yes, but I do not want to talk about it." Sigh...so how am I supposed to get a history from him?! It gets a bit frustrating.

I find the whole job extremely slow-paced. You know, most of my jobs in the past year or months, have been pretty busy, with doing ward work, clerking-in, and reviewing sickies. But now, all I need to do is wait for referrals, which totals up to about 5-6 a day, compared to the usual 20 a day in medical wards. I find it difficult to settle in (but i'm sure with time, I would actually appreciate the extra free time).

I don't like the fact that I have to interview the patient in a special room....the precautions I need to take when interviewing them, are such a pain! I need to let the patient sit first, I need to sit near the exit door, I need to make sure I bring an alarm with me, I need to make sure I approach the patient with my body sideways (because if I face the patient like how you would normally greet someone, I am exposing myself to more danger).....sigh...so many things to bear in mind!

I tried to throw these negative thoughts away...and approached this job positively. hmm...let me see....oh, yes, I get to do the ward round while sitting on a nice comfy chair. I get to drink coffee during the whole ward round (which takes hours!!!). I do not have to do 7 consecutive night on calls...this has been replaced with 24 hours on calls. Nothing else positive that I can think of.

I think at the end of the day, I myself get abit depressed....or you never know, one day, I will come home from work, with paranoid ideas and hallucinations! I know mental health problem is not a very nice illness to have, so I need to be more understanding and be more professional! *slap myself...wake up and be enthusiastic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good article , this article make some interesting points.


Mental Health Information