Monday, September 10, 2007

Work and Kiddies

Saturday was rather busy at work. Sunday was alright. I managed to get home by 10 pm last night, had maggi mee with egg, was waiting for my turn to shower, as my housemate was using it......the next I remember was waking up at 5 am, with working clothes on, towel draped over my body (as though it was my duvet), contact lens stuck in the eyes, and a full bladder that needs emptying almost immediately.

haha...the joys of my life. How interesting.

Anyway, I've decided that paediatrics is actually not too bad...but, I think I will get really "kang kor" when I see sick children, or see wonderful parents looking after their sick child. I felt so sorry on Sunday when I asked a Mum whether both she and Dad were in good health. She informed me that Dad died last year with a massive MI, while she was pregnany with her 2nd child. =( That is really really heart wrenching. He was a very young man in his 30s.

In another case, I felt really sorry to inform the parents that their wee daughter, nearing the age of 2, has insulin dependent diabetes. I knew that they were prepared for the news, but I could still see the devastating look in their faces. Imagine, she's only 2, having to have 3-4 times finger prick to check her BM, having to inject herself with insulin....and all these, for the rest of her life. And don't get me started on the potential complications, DKAs and hypos..etc..

I don't know. Poor children. I really salute to parents who take every effort to look after their disabled child...you guys are fantastic. You know, sometimes, looking back at the months when I was doing adult medicine, grown ups are such big moaners. Kiddies....they are so innocent and naive. I was speaking to a boy with severe asthma over the weekend...he was telling me about his playstation, wii, gameboy and ipod, while working really hard to breathe. And when I asked him how he was doing, the answer was, "I'm doing fine." But you could see his muscles contracting and hear his wheeze. Its amazing how kids are so oblivious of how ill they are. Adults just moans and moans.

ok...that's my rant for the day.

No comments: