Saturday, September 15, 2007

Learning The ABCs

*phew

What a long week it has been. I was undergoing training for the past week, learning how to perform a few practical procedures (chest drains, central lines) and also learning about common paediatric illness and paeds basic life support.

Then, followed by 2 days of Advanced Life Support course. Boy, this was really hectic. The day began at about 8 am and ended just about 7 pm. It was really long...and we had to learn to be the team leader in the event of a cardiac arrest, therefore, we acted out a good few scenarios. It was all really good...the trainers were approachable and good at teaching. So it was back to the basics of learning the ABCs, and also DEFG....plus, a few other stuff....

At the end of the course, we had to sit for a MCQ paper and perform in a scenario. I have to admit that I was pretty stressed about the whole thing....because during the scenario, I have to give commands to my fellow cardiac arrest team members who were consultants in A & E and anaesthesia. It felt strange. I am only a doctor with 1 year of experience. I felt tiny.

Anyway, glad that I passed the whole thing, and now I am a fully certified in ALS. So bring it on! Give me any situation, I should be able to handle it, no problem. *yeah right. Things are different when you are actually in a proper case. Everything will be chaotic. Although I have been in many arrest, I was always the person who tries to get IV access and obtain ABG. But guess now that I am slightly more senior than a JHO, I have more responsibility, and am expected to lead the cardiac arrest team. *yikes! scary.

No comments: