Saturday, August 18, 2007

Strange Meat

I had dinner at a Mongolian restaurant, and boy, it was strange!

My friend and I walked in without knowing what to expect.....we soon found out that it was a buffet style restaurant. You choose your meat, add the sauces/powders/spices/oil available, pass it to the chef and he will fry it for you. Easy peesy.

Since it was after 7pm, we were entitled for a "full feast" that included a starter and a dessert. For starters, I ordered nothing too strange...the wild boar dumplings. The dumplings tasted pretty much like the usual "soi kow" back home but with a heavier porky taste. SzeLeng ordered crocodile bites?! yeah....crocodile. Boy, the meat was really tough!! It was chewy...nah...I didn't really like it.

Then for the meat selection, there was a wide variety to choose from. Eg, shark, springbok (an African gazelle), rabbit, venison, beef, lamb, zebra, kangaroo and etc. Where do they get the supply of such meat? Well, the springbok, crocodile, zebra and kangaroo were apparently culled from an African safari.

I was trying to be adventurous, so I pulled out my guts and tried the springbok and shark. I couldn't bring myself to pick up the zebra or kangaroo meat....they were TOO strange! The shark tasted just like any other fish...hmm..something like the haddock or cod. The springbok on the other hand, was nearly similar to the venison or beef. But it certainly has its own distinctive taste! I'd added different sauces to the meat...and yes, lots of chilli powder just in case I find it difficult to eat. I am proud of myself, I did ok. =)

I guess it is a true Mongolian restaurant...because I remember watching the telly when I was a little girl about Mongolia...and they do eat strange meat. At the end of our feast, I was really filled up to the neck...I could not eat anymore meat....and we finished up with a slice of Mars Cheesecake and a banoffee pie. Just the right sweetie food to end a meal!

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant if you're not up to strange stuff...but it is no doubt a fun place to have a meal with friends as you can challenge each other to eat weird meat....and I guess the restaurant said it all, "It is not a place for the faint-hearted!"

No comments: