Sunday, December 24, 2006

Sympathy, I have

I have been in the receiving ward for the past week. As expected, Monday was always busy....and so was Tues, Wed, Thurs and on Fri, the number of patients that came were less. I put this down to christmas...who wants to stay in the hospital on christmas day?

Christmas is a happy season. Everyone is looking forward to opening their presents or having a nice family dinner. During the last week, I felt quite sad to see a few patients dying or even suffering. I know this happen every single day but one particular patient filled me with sympathy.

This was a young lady who had 2 children. She was admitted with exacerbation of her chronic illness. I must say, she looked terrible. Her vital signs were not great. All of us in the hospital did not think that she would survive for long. During the visiting hour, her kids came up to visit her. One of the nurses asked the young children what they wanted for christmas, and they answered, "Mummy."

The nurse assured them that they would surely be able to see Mummy on Christmas Day. Unfortunately, (as you might have expected), that lady died a few hours later.

It was quite a sad case.

No comments: