Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Knackered

KNACKERED, is the best word to describe myself now. I am currently working night shifts for 7 days, and I am so knackered. Yet, I have only done 3 days of them. My eyes are stinging in pain and my mouth is dry because of lack of hydration. =( My shift is worth 12 hours long or more, depending on whether there were alot to do. I begin my journey to the hospital at 7.30pm to get ready for work, which starts at 8.30pm.

From 8.30 onwards, I have never had much opportunity to sit, drink or eat. The workload was just going constantly. From prescribing drugs to persuading patients to not run away from the hospital in the middle of the night, the type of jobs I faced during the night are rather funny sometimes. Just last night, I had to deal with a man who said the monitor that check the patient's vital signs is a gun?!

My pager just cant stop bleeping. It is worse especially when I'm in the ward in the middle of the night, when suddenly the pager starts to ring. The silence in the night is broken and you can hear patients grumbling in the background. *oppss...sorry!

Everyday, I only managed about 4 hours of sleep. And I just have to pull myself out of bed and stuff something down my throat, so that I wont get hungry later. But anyhow, I shall not complain too much, as I am sure there are many other people out there who are working far harder than me.

No comments: