Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Don Quixote

Heard this name before? If you haven't, let me introduce you to Don Quixote de la Mancha, a man whose aim in life is to undo evil and protect the weak. He feels that his good deeds will glorify the woman of his imagination......(he turned his faithful servant girl into the love of his dreams).

Anyway, my friends and I decided to catch a ballet performance titled "Don Quixote" during the Edinburgh Festival on Sunday. I have watched ballet in the past and I, particularly enjoyed "The Swan Lake." Unfortunately, this ballet performance made all of us clueless and sleepy. I have to admit that we all did not know what the show was about. Most of the time, after every scene, my friends and I would end up discussing and creating our own interpretation of the ballet. It was funny...we all thought that this man is abit loose in his brain....probably having a bit of dementia as well. =P

When we first entered the theatre, most seats were taken up except for the cheap ones (like the one we bought). This was the first time Don Quixote was performed in the festival. Anyway, a scene is always follwed by a short interval. By the end of the first scene, a tall guy sitting in front of my friend left the theatre for good. Guess he thought it was boring. During the 2nd interval, a group of girls who were sitting in front of us left as well. hmmm....hope you get the picture of how clueless everyone was about the performance. keke

When the show finally ended with the lead character dead, we left immediately (just can't wait to breathe the fresh air outside and see the sun). A man who was making his way out looked at us and said, "Oh, did you guys get the booklet? (refering to the programme book on Don Quixote)" I shook my head in response. And he continued, "Here you are, you can have mine. I do not need it anymore." I thanked him for the book.

I do not know what did you guys think about what happened. For me, I thought maybe it was just a convenient way for him to get rid of the book because it would be a waste to dump it into the bin. But at the same time, maybe we all looked so "blur." =D haha....whatever it is, I'm glad to say that our interpretation of the ballet was right on track except for a few scenes. But, I think I have enough of ballet for now.

No comments: