Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Conduitogram? Ileogram??

Have I got you clueless over there?

There are just so many words that end with -ogram. Kilogram, histogram, etc.

But what is a conduitogram or even an ileogram??

During a particular ward round this week, I was asked by a senior doctor to request a conduitogram for a patient. I was like, "sorry, what did you say?" The doctor repeated himself and I was still left dumbstruck. hehe. Silly me. But I have never heard of the word conduitogram, ever in my life so far. Later on during the day, the word fistulogram came up. Again, I was like, "What?!"

hehe....but fear not, I have now got the idea of the words ending with -ogram. They basically mean some form of investigative procedure, involving an x-ray and radioactive dye, to check for any holes or obstruction related to the organ or tissue. For example, a fistul-ogram. Fistul, comes from the word fistula, which is an abnormal connection between 2 organs. So, a fistulogram means investigating the fistula to check for any holes. If the dye leaks out of the fistula, hence, a hole is present within the fistula and that needs to be fixed.

Hope I did not get you ppl confused. But I surely have improved my vocabulary....keke.

No comments: