Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bad Venflon Days

Let me first tell you what is a venflon. It is a needle-like plastic tube that sits in a vein to allow drugs to be given intravenously or to start a drip (where you get extra fluid into your body). In order to insert a venflon into a vein, a lot of skill and experience is required.

Throughout my 7 days of night shifts, I have been inserting venflons into numerous patients everyday. The minimum venflons per day was about 2, and there was one night, where there were nearly 10 venflons to be inserted! Venflons are easier to insert in those with big fat cracking veins compared to those with small veins.

You would imagine that after having so many practice over the night, I should not face much difficulty when asked to insert one in the future (unless of course the patient has really no veins palpable or visible). However, last night (which was my last night of night shift), I faced great difficulty. I had to try about 3 times in a lady before I'd finally managed to get it done. And there was a man with a big visible vein, and I failed on 2 occasions.

ARrgghhh!!

It was really frustrating. I was suffering from a Bad Venlfon Day, and this made me feel really shit because I was meant to be more experienced...I have been doing it for the whole week!! sigh...oh well, I think it was because my mind was sunconsciously smiling away because it was the last night. So there was lack of concentration? Whatever. Doesn't matter anymore....need to retire to bed early. My eyes are nearly half shut. Good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had those days. My worse attempt at a venflon was probably 5-6 times on an oedematous lady in HDU. After giving up (it just wasn't fair on her) and telling the nurses to call the SHO, they then decided that they didn't need one after all. Aargh!

Had trouble with a pt this evening (was on nights too) and after two attempts, decided to walk off and come back later, and hey presto, got it in first time! :)

Happy that you've finished your nights . Same here!! Whoopee.

sl said...

hello there!!

=) yeah, tell me about it. I just do not have the heart to try the venflon after 3 goes.

I think having a short break before trying again is probably a good idea.

Are you a JHO too in the UK?

Good bye to nights for now. hehe.