Thursday, April 20, 2006

It's A Bug's Place

It just occurred to me yesterday that the hospital is a "bug place". I am saying this because sick people come in and out of the hospital, carrying loads of bugs with them. You can't really see bugs, but they can certainly see you. They enter your body through your nose, mouth, a cut in your skin, etc...you are especially at risk if you immune system is low.

Yesterday, I was cold, shivering, and my body was aching all over. Having checked my own temperature, I discovered that I developed fever (37.8 deg C). I havent been sick for awhile now (touch wood), so with this onset of fever, I was really feeling uncomfy. But, I still had to force myself to carry on doing my work in the hospital. While doing that, I started to realise what was the cause of my illness. Most patients were basically coughing right at my face as I was speaking to them. I was breathing in all their secretions directly and unconsciously (if you get what I mean)!! It's no wonder I get sick so easily, furthermore, with the stress of having to complete my portfolio for the exams and writing a 12 pg essay on how I progressed based on the 12 curriculum of my medical school, my immune system is certainly plummeting.

Sigh! I'm much better now, having slept from 8.30pm till 6.30am the next day! hehe...very well rested indeed, but feeling extremely guilty now for not doing my work last night. Just cross my fingers that I won't get sick again. If anyone asks me about hospitals, the first thing I would say is, "It's a bug's place."

3 comments:

jinkhang said...

hope u're 101% well now!

Anonymous said...

heys gal,
take good care of yourself!!! look away when the patients cough!!
If not, we'll be sick all the time.. :(
get well soon!

sl said...

thank you guys for your concern. my fever only lasted for a day. back to my usual self now. =)