Saturday, March 07, 2009

"Lovely" Neighbours I Have....Not!

It was a long day at work. I came back from my night shift and felt really sleepy, having not slept alot the day before.

However, I only managed a good 1 hour worth of sleep! I decided not to try to sleep anymore and kind of potter around the house watching the telly and drinking tea.

I was in my room, when the doorbell rang. My housemate, Helen, opened the door. I thought it was her friend. However, later she shouted, " Ling, the police is here for you!"

I was like, "HUH!"

The first few thoughts that rushed through my mind were, "Did I kill somebody?? Did someone decided to sue me and the police is here to get a statement from me? Was someone I know in trouble and needs my help? Did I even do anything wrong???"

I quickly rushed to the living room, and there, stood a policeman, and his partner, a policewoman. They looked at me and the policeman asked, "Hi. Are you the owner of the baby blue Peugeot 206 with the plate S**B** that is parked outside?" I said, "Yes." Then, I was thinking....oh no, I must have been caught speeding!

Then he said,"Your neighbour reported you. They said you have not changed your tax disc."

I replied,"OOOHhh.... (scurried back to my room to get my new tax disc for the year)....here it is. I actually renewed it last week, but it must be that I have been so busy at work, and disorientated to the time, that I forgot to change it. I'm really sorry."

He studied it and said,"Oh rite. That's fine. But please remember to put it up, otherwise, I'll have to fine you at least 60 quid!"

"Sure, no problem. I'll definitely put it up today."

And they left the house.

I don't know how to describe my feelings then...it was mixed feelings. I was glad that it was just a simple expired tax disc, and not something outrageously horrible! Also, I was a bit shocked that my "lovely" neighbours would report my car!! To be honest, I do not even know any of them. Not spoken to any neighbours. And everyone living on this road just parks their cars along the street...they don't own a particular car parking lot. So it was not like they could be angry that I "stole" their parking lot.

That night, before I left to start my night shift, I made sure I changed my tax disc.....still feeling really "funny" that my neighbours have so much time to look at tax discs and report to the police if they found one that is expired.

I mean I have spoken to the police before....but those were at hospital level, you know, giving statements about patients, getting their help to restrain violent patients, etc....but man, NEVER had I imagine that the police would come to my house to check on my tax disc!

*phew

ps. tax disc = road tax

No comments: