Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Treasure Your Life!

I was slightly disheartened when I went to work this morning. One of my patients died in the early hours of the morning.

He wasn't just any patient. He was such a lovely man....and to make me feel even worse, it was his birthday yesterday! He had no family members, and lived alone. However, he had caring friends, who sent him a surprise birthday parcel to the hospital! aww...isn't that sweet? Unfortunately, he was so unwell yesterday to even realise that it was his birthday, and he was quite confused. He was struggling so hard to breathe, and I could just see him deteriorating right in front of my eyes. Neither of his friends live nearby. Sadly, there was no one there with him to accompany him during his last few hours of his life.....he died alone.

May he rest in peace.

urrgghh....doesn't that just depress you? I just feel utterly sorry, and I know, by now, having been in this job for more than 2 years, I should be used to this....but no.

It just made me treasure my life even more. I mean, would he ever thought that he would be spending the last moment of his life on his birthday....and in the hospital.....and alone?? No, of course not. You'll never know what is going to happen to you...and I think the phrase, "Live each day of your life to the fullest" is so so true.

Let me be honest here. I feel disgusted when I see many people drinking too much alcohol, taking too much drugs, and just simply not treasuring their lives at all! I mean, yes, you may have a social problem, but heck, there are many ways to go around it, and not drain yourselves under booze and illicit drugs.

Ah well, who am I to tell them what to do with their lives.

No comments: