Thursday, October 30, 2008

Whoa...sarcasm to the max!

Honestly, I am quite fed up with my boss at work.

First of all, I think he doesn't care about this patients. A consultant should review his patients twice a week...but heck no, not even once this week. He doesn't even enquire whether his patients are still alive?!

Secondly, he is pretty sarcastic. Give you an example.

Boss : what is the difference between prednisolone and budesonide?
Me : budesonide has less side effects.
Boss : why?
Me : I guess it gets digested quickly by the liver, therefore, it doesnt circulate at high levels.
Boss : You have no idea what you are talking about do you?
Me : Well, it was a guess. I haven't been reading up on this.
Boss : Hah! Thought so. It has high first pass metabolism.

wah...got slap right in the face.

Another example.

I was presenting a little case to him after clinic. Mind you, this was a GI clinic.

I said, "This is a 50 year old man with Crohn's colitis and sarcoidosis. He is currently on asacol, prednisolone - reducing regime, and alendronic acid." He stopped me abruptly.

"Hang on, is alendronic acid relevant? What does being on alendronic acid mean here? You have
to be more consise and relevant. What's the point in telling me he's on alendronic acid," he moaned.

" Well, he's on steroids for a long tem, and therefore, have developed osteoporosis secondary to steroids."

He then said, "Well, what does it have to do with his GI symptoms? Nothing."

I just kept quiet. No point trying to make a point...

I can take sarcasm very well...but I felt that this was unjustified, somehow.

No comments: