Friday, August 22, 2008

Ya Man...This is Stressful

What a week!

Its been an extremely stressful week for me.

There was no consultant cover for 1 week. A couple of my patients became acutely unwell everyday, it was as though they were taking their turns.

Why the stress?

Simply because I do not like leaving the hospital without knowing whether my management plan is appropriate for the patient. Yes, I have made a few decisions about how to treat the patient, but at the end of it, when someone who is really sick, ie, peri arrest, I would really appreciate a senior review, either a consultant or a registrar (whom this hospital does not have).

So I start to build up this stress in me...the stress of not knowing whether my plans were good enough for the patient, the stress of whether I was missing something, the stress of having to pass on a sick patient to the night team, without a senior review on the patient, etc...

For the past few days, I was literally at the level of wanting to pull all my hair out and scream. Even my consultant, who returned in the middle of the week, said, "I think you're going to have a nervous breakdown by Friday."

huh?! thanks (with alot of sarcasm).

Luckily, when Friday finally arrived, I was back to my usual self. I was no longer stressed.

But man, I am not liking this hospital system very much!

No comments: