Tuesday, May 06, 2008

This is Wrong!

I can't stand this anymore!

I have been asked to work with one of the consultants in my ward...and oh my, it is not going very well, I have to say. First of all, being the junior member of staff, I really have no right to choose which consultant I would like to work with. So I was pushed to work with this particular consultant because none of my senior colleagues want to work with him.

Why?

It is pretty obvious, isnt? Because he is absolutely SHITE! Let me tell you what these shitty things were:

1. A patient with newly diagnosed osteoporosis, was treated with subcutaneous injection of calcitonin for 2 weeks, and then, only start the patient on a calcium and vit D supplement.
When I asked him about his management, he replied, "Calcitonin works best for osteoporosis."
Yea, right...where is the evidence? He didn't even want to consider bisphosphonates.

2. A patient with severe sepsis and vomiting was changed from IV antibiotics to oral ones. Now, does the patient even satisfy the criteria for switching? No. But he wanted it changed anyway.

3. A patient who has been in the hospital for a chest infection, began to develop dysuria. He was otherwise, systemically well. He asked me to start this patient on IV vancomycin for his hospital acquired urinary tract infection. I was like, WHAT?! How about simple ciprofloxacin or even trimethoprim??

4. A patient was in atrial flutter at a rate of 150 beats per min. He wanted the patient to have only 250 micrograms of digoxin on that day, and daily after that. But hello, you would need to load that patient up first leh! The next day, patient was still in fast AF.

5. A male patient who developed urinary retention due to an enlarged prostate gland. I asked if it would be alright to start him on an alpha blocker, like tamsulosin. He replied, "There's no need to do that. His prostate gland is already big....what use would it be to start him on this medication." I was mortified.

I could go on and on about all his shitty plans....Now you would understand why my senior colleagues do not want to work with him. Because when they question his management plans, they will end up arguing. I, on the other hand, would be told that I have not much experience in my job.

I am tired. I am sick and tired of doing ward rounds with him...To make matters worse, he is always on-call. So I have loads of patient every week....and not to mention, the number of dictations I have to do for his hospital discharges!! URGGHH!!!

No comments: