Saturday, February 02, 2008

Don't Discharge Me!

I found it really funny that just a couple of days ago, one of my patients refused to leave the hospital.

Now, tell me, how bizzare is that?

So far, patients would jump at the slightest idea of going home....or they would keep asking you, "When can i go home doc?" And, sometimes you will get patients who will irregular discharge themselves.

This funny patient of mine was admitted for alcohol detox. He has drinking far too much alcohol, in fact, he told us that, "I would drink until I collapse." It was not unusual for him to be found lying unconscious outside pubs most nights. We decided to detox him. He also informed us that he is feeling quite depressed.

Upon completing his detox, we told him that he will be followed up by the community addictions team. He was not happy....said that he needed help. Yeap, help we have given, by kicking off a detox programme. We won't be able to address your depression until he has addressed his alcohol problem.

He said, "You guys are discharging me too soon. I need help. I am depressed."

"Well, we have detoxed you. You are already on an antidepressant."

"I don't think thats helping me. I need time to sort my head out."

"Ok. But you have only started to take the antidepressant for 1 week so far. It would take a minimum for 2 weeks before you feel anything. Moreover, drinking alcohol excessively can also make you depressed. So we think it is best for you to get rid of this addiction first, before we look into you depression."

"No, you don't understand. Its not the alcohol. I am depressed. I need help."

He doesnt seem to want to take the responsibility that alcohol is a problem for him. Again, we explained that he is to be discharged the next day. This ward is not a place for him to get his mind sorted.

He became quite angry and said,"I want to file a complaint. This is not on. I will get my lawyers into this." We just replied, "Ok, you can put in a complaint. We will show you the forms."

A few hours later.....

His lawyer arrived. He himself found it rather funny that the patient wants him to fight for him to stay longer in the hospital....

I do not know the outcome of this thing.

But I find this really really amusing, and also, he doesn't seem to understand that he should be responsible for his own actions, and not blame us for not helping him. We can only help him to a certain extent, detox & antidepressant. The rest is all up to him.

No comments: