Monday, October 01, 2007

Yikes!

*scratch *scratch *scratch

I'm feeling so itchy now. Help!

Just before I left work, I saw a young boy who presented with a rash. It was a funny rash, which I do not know what to make of it. The rash apparently has been there for a good 5 weeks now. He has been using a steroid cream which has made the rash worse. The boy was otherwise well.

My registrar reviewed the patient, and she too, did not know what was the cause of the rash. So we did a few blood tests, and they were normal. She decided to let the night on-call team review the wee boy as well.

So after informing the night team on call about the case, the first thing that came out from her mouth was, "Its scabies!"

I was like, "Nooo way...I touched him without even wearing gloves." Yikes!!!

She smiled and said the story sounded like it. But reassured me that if I had washed my hands after examining the boy, it should be ok. I wasn't buying it...the worse thing was, before taking the blood sample from him, I was actually carrying him in my arms, because mum did not want to accompany him into the treatment room for the tests.

Oh boy...now I'm feeling itchy all over. I was really paranoid....I washed my hands at least twice before I left the ward, and disinfected my stethoscope too. I really hope its not scabies...I shall get the confirmation tomorrow. And I will keep this blog updated...

Hope I can sleep tonight...*scratch *scratch

No comments: