Sunday, September 30, 2007

Body Attack & Balance....Totally Hammered....

I attended 2 fitness classes yesterday. It was a launching day at my local sports centre. Therefore, all the routine in the classes are new. I have always wanted to join one of the fitness classes, but never got myself to do it, because I couldn't get a partner to go along with me. However, I decided that I needed a change from my usual treadmill/cross runner in the gym.

So, my first class - Body Attack. Before the class, I kept wondering what would I be doing in the class. Is it boxing? Is it lifting weights? Is it aerobics? The fitness instructor was a fit and well toned lady. We started off with a tiny jog on the spot, which soon, picked up to lots of jumping, kicking, squats, etc...basically it was high-impact aerobics. I was working every inch of my body.... The music was excellent, fast and catchy. But after 30 minutes of it, I really felt tired. I couldn't really keep up with the pace (despite running on the treadmill for 3 miles at least twice a week!) My cardiovascular system failed me! How disappointing. Then, we started to do push-ups for about 10 minutes...my arms felt like they were going to break halfway through it, and again, I had to slow down. I could literally feel a piercing pain sensation in my arm muscles.

The whole class lasted for a good hour...and by the end of it, I was knackered. My body was hammered by myself! Sweat was pouring out from all my sweat pores. But it felt good. I felt like I really worked my body to the limit. Guess, the name body attack explains it all - Attacking your own body with high impact exercises.

Then, about 10 minutes later, the next class, Body Balance, started. Now this class is all about balance and stretching. It's a mixture of Tai Chi, yoga and pilates. I was quite glad that I attended this class after that muscle tearing experience earlier on. So I was stretching my muscles to relaxation...and at the end of the class, we laid down on the mat in a totally relaxed mood for about 5 minutes....Boy, that felt good! The music that accompanied the class was nicely chosen...very relaxing and nice.

After 2 hours worth of exercise, I was starving. Luckily it was near to dinner time and I met up with my ex-colleagues for dinner at Cafe Andaluz. The Spanish tapas was excellent. After dinner, it was a drinking feast until 3 am! It started off with 2 pitchers of sangria at the tapas bar, followed by, about 3 drinks in another bar...and lastly, we finished off at a bar in town, where we all had a shooter each and another drink! Boy, I was hammered! I felt really sick by the end of the whole night. I just wanted to go home and sleep....which was what we all did.

By the time I got home, it was 3.30 am...I pushed myself to take off my contact lens and changed into my PJs. Oh...and I also made sure I brushed my teeth...because sometimes I really can't be bothered to do that if I'm really really sleepy. =)

This morning, I got up 6 hours later...feeling refreshed and hungry, but with a terrible muscle ache all over.

No comments: