Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Please Stop Buzzing!

I'm doing a 9-9 shift this week. I start my on-call from 5 pm onwards. Since 5.30pm yesterday, I did not have at least 10 minutes of silence as my pager kept ringing.

I was expecting my pager to go off about 7-ish yesterday evening. However, it started to buzz at just 20 minutes past 5 pm. It was the JHO from a ward who said she needed help to do her phlebotomist bloods AGAIN! So, went over to help her.

Here is an example of the calls I recevied.

*beep
Pt needs warfarin prescribed.

*beep
Pt needs insulin prescribed. Oh and a cannula for IV antibiotics.

*beep
Pt needs warfarin prescribed.
(I personally think that the ward JHO should be responsible for prescribing this).

*beep
Pt died unexpectedly.

???excuse me

I asked the nurse, "What do you mean unexpectedly?"
"Well, we were not expecting her to die so soon."
"Right ok," I said. I was thinking to myself that if she died unexpectedly, then I am in deep trouble....

*beep
Hi, sorry to bother you. A pt here needs vancomycin level and another one needs gentamicin level checked pls. I am calling from Ward 30.

ermm..sorry I do not cover that ward!

*beep
Pt dropped sats from 94% on air to 69% on air. Looks very unwell. Pls come and see her asap.
(This elderly lady was quite ill. Spent alot of time with her, in order to sort her out.)

*beep
The pt is just in the ward. She needs to be clerked in.
(This one kind of annoyed me. Reason? Because the JHO told me that he saw her in the investigation suite and did sort of clerked her in, but he just didn't have the time to write it down into the admission notes. Now, can anyone tell me what total rubbish that is?? What you mean you do not have chance to write it down. The bloody admission packs are sitting in your ward. Just go back to your ward and write it all down, and then, tell the nurses that it is all done and they just need to stick it into her folder when she arrives at the ward.)

*beep
I need a venflon pls.

*beep
I need a venflon pls.

*beep
Pt is pyrexial at 38.3. You need to do blood cultures.
(Went up to the ward to ask the nurses who that patient was....no one can remember! Talk about incompetence!)

*beep
Hi. Its Nuala. How are you doing?
(Never been happier to hear the voice of the night JHO!)

Left the hospital at about 23.15 yesterday.

No comments: