Monday, January 29, 2007

D.O.M.

I seem to be working plenty weekends, hmm.... anyway, yes, I was working over last weekend at the Medical Receiving Unit, yet again.

The weekend turned out to be really weird. In fact, the whole week was rather weird. Usually on a Monday, it would be really mad, but it wasn't too bad....instead, I think Wednesday, and Friday were the worst days. On Saturday, only 6 patients turned up on my side and only 7 on the other. I was bored to death on Sunday because only 4 patients were admitted during the whole day (1 of them died within 30 minutes though...well, she had a massive PE)

Right...I should go straight to the point.

A different patient on Sunday presented with chest pain. So, dutifully, I did my job as a house officer, ie, clerk him in, perform an examination and create a plan. While speaking to this man in his 50s (I can't really remember his age), he commented, "You are really cute."

To be honest, I actually heard what he said. But automatically, I just said, "Sorry?" And again he said, "You are very cute." I just smiled and continued to ask him a couple more questions. A few minutes later, this patient said, "Aww... you are really cute. You look like a schoolgirl...so young." I just kinda smiled (and at the same time, whispered to myself, "Oh pls, just shut the fuck up, you DOM ") and proceeded with my examination. Having explained to him what was the treatment plan for him, I left quickly.

In my heart, I kinda felt disgusted. I mean, it wasn't like he was a young hot man that gave me such comments. He was in his 50's and I dunno, ........yeww.....

Later in the evening, my SPR arrived to do her receiving ward round. I presented that DOM 's case to her and then, we both went to see the patient. While my SPR was examining him, he looked at me and told her, "She's so cute, isn't she?" I was like, "No, I'm not." And my SPR gav me a funny look, which I kind of interpreted as "Huh?!" I just rolled my eyes back at her, and ignored him.

As we left his bed, I could just feel his eyes staring at me. It was really uncomfortable.....sent shivers down my spine. I looked at him from the corners of my eyes (you know, not wanting him to see that I'm looking at him) and guess what, he was smilling to himself. eeekkkk!!!!

That was the last time I saw him. He was a DOM and I really need to stay far farrr faaarrrraway from ppl like him!

Btw, I hope you have figured out what does DOM stand for.

8 comments:

greenpea said...

hahaha.. pink pea... those were the days back when we were medical students and we kept going on about DOMs! :P

sl said...

hey green pea...=)

yeah...the days when we were med students...i gave these ppl a nickname, DOM! make sure you stay clear of them too. =)

Anonymous said...

i learn something new.. :)
i think i know wat DOM means.. hehehe
but man, i still dont know why they cant behave! :S

Peter said...

What's a DOM?
Enlight me... :P

sl said...

Dirty Old Men :)

Anonymous said...

oh dear.. I'm not dirty.. and I'm not old... but i'm a MAN!

if less than 2 out of the 3 criteria not counted rite? ;P

Anonymous said...

oh dear.. I'm not dirty.. and I'm not old... but i'm a MAN!

if less than 2 out of the 3 criteria not counted rite? ;P

sl said...

hehe...you're spared!