Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Its a Sad, Sad Story

Today is the day which made me feel lucky.

I came across a very very sad story today and realised how lucky I am to be me. I have always felt that to be a soldier, one has to be very brave and willing to sacrifice his life for anything. Today, I found truth in my thoughts.

Picture this:

You (a young person in the early 20's) was sent off to another country to fight in a war. While on duty, you were caught by your enemy. The enemy hit you really hard, and left you in a subconscious state. They laid you on the road, and asked their team members in an oil tanker to drive over you. You were too weak to move out of the way. The tanker rolled over you, breaking your pelvic bones, your femurs, crushing your intestines (large and small), destroying your spleen and caused massive injuries to your nervous system.

The enemy stood by the side enjoying the view. You screamed in pain. But they do not care. Instead, they pulled you up and tried to kidnap you. However, your fellow soldiers managed to come to your rescue and saved you. But you were in an unimaginable state of injury. Your life was at stake.

The whole accident left you crippled, your intestines had to be reconstructed, etc etc. You had to stay in the ITU for months before you regain abit of your life back. Many complications arose, including MRSA infection, loss of sexual functions, compartment syndrome.... life you couldn't go any worse than this. But you survived and you are still sane.

That was the sad sad story that I came across today. It left me thinking about how people suffered in the war. I mean, yes I read in the papers about the evil side of a war, but I think it is only when you see the whole thing right in front of your eyes, that you actually understand and feel the suffering.

If I were a victim of war (such as the above), I think I would be left in a vegetative state. I would probably rather die than carry on with life, to be honest. A lot of praises + respect have to be given to these brave warriors or victims of war.

No comments: