Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hola Espana!

Spain was great! The weather was good, the food was interesting and there were many exciting things to see. My parents and I stayed in a resort hotel just beside the beach in Southern Spain. Every morning, I woke up to the sound of the waves of the Mediterranean Sea. The moment I open my eyes, I could see the very blue sea and the sunrise. ahh....this was a perfect way to spend my holiday. =)
The beautiful beach in Benalmadena, Spain.

In Southern Spain, my dad rented a car, and we managed to travel around Andalusia. We visited Seville, Ronda (a small city located on top of a rocky limestone cleft), Granada and Malaga. The weather was slightly wet in Seville but we still managed to check out the area. Orange trees were found almost everywhere in Seville.

The rows of orange trees & me, holding an orange.

The visit to Granada was satisfying. I visited the great Alhambra. It was a palace built under Ismail I who ruled Granada at that time. The palace was big and it also had a nice paradise-like garden, known as the Generalife. Everything in the place had Islamic patterns.

The above 2 pics: The picturesque Alhambra.

Nothing beats watching a LIVE bullfight in Spain. hehe. I paid about 45 euros for a bullfight. It was really exciting but at the same time, rather cruel. Besides the bullfight, I also managed to watch a flamenco performance. The flamenco was really good and I was amazed at how the dancers managed to move so swiftly and clap in synchrony. Not to mention how skilful they were with the castanets.


After spending a few days in Andalusia, we flew off to Barcelona. There the various street theatres along the famous street, La Rambla, did not fail to facinate me. I had my first tapas meal in Barcelona. Tapas is like small little snacks to savour on (something like dimsum). It was delicious.

The buildings designed and created by Antoni Gaudi (a famous architect) can be found in Barcelona. The La Pedrera (which is just an apartment) has a unique wavy structure. The roof is topped with tall sculptures which actually function as chimneys. There is also the unfinished Temple of Sagrada Familia. Antoni Gaudi only managed to build a small part of it before he was killed in an accident. Since his death, many people have taken over the project and plans have been made to ensure its completion by 2010. My family and I managed to take a stroll in 2 parks in Barcelona. One of it is Parc Guell, which is partly designed by Antoni Gaudi.


The La Pedrera, Barcelona (notice the sculptured chimneys).

Casa Batlo (another creation of Antoni Gaudi)

Me @ The Sagrada Familia

Shopping in Barcelona was great. I did not buy anything in particular except for souveniers. I really enjoyed the entire trip and wished the days pass slower.


Street Theatre along La Rambla.


No comments: