Wednesday, October 18, 2006

07.30 am and still in bed

I woke up this morning thinking that it was only 6.30 am. But I jumped out of my bed the moment I saw that the time was actually 7.30 in the morning. Shit. I am going to be soooo late for work. Work starts at 8am. Shit. Then, I remembered that my friend, who gives me lifts in the morning, (let's call her L) has probably left for work first. I smsed her anyway to say that I was running super duper late.

I went for a shower kerbau style and was out of the house by 8 am. I walked fast, nearly running, to catch the train. Arrived at the city centre 10mins later and I had to walk a moderate distance to the hospital. As I walked, I was cursing myself for sleeping through my alarm (which was, in fact, a double alarm). Shit. Shit. Shit.

By the time I reached the ward (roughly 8.30am), sweat was kinda pouring down my forehead. The ward round was probably over by then. *phew Thank goodness my consultant did not see me walking into the ward late. Otherwise, it would be quite bad, wouldnt it? I cooled down and a few nurses spotted me late.

"Ling, you are sweating. You just rushed in, eh?"

"Hi Ling. There you are. You slept in, didnt you?"

"Ahhh Ling. You're here finally."

Those were a few comments I received from them. I giggled when I heard them. It was so obvious I overslept this morning. =D Being my usual efficient self, I managed to get on top of my workload today, despite being late. =P

My shift ended at 2pm today. Although there were quite a number of admissions today, both my colleague and I managed to clerk them all. I was quite happy that I was able to leave the hospital on time....for once. Just before I left, one of the senior doctors based in the ward saw me packing my bag and said:

"You going home already, Ling? You woke up late this morning, and now you're skiving away..."

hehehe...I started to laugh. It seems to me that the whole ward is aware of my "sleep in" this morning. And I really do quite guilty to be honest. It is so different when I was still a student. When you are late, no one really cares and you don't have any responsibilities to attend to. Imagine if I was the only junior doc in that ward, then, things probably could go worse. No one would be there for the ward round.

I pwomise I would be early tomorrow!! *fingers crossed

No comments: