Friday, February 24, 2006

Pheeww....What a Hectic Week!

I just came back from Dunfermline. I haven't been home for 2 weeks already, and I certainly miss my bed and warm room alot! I am just extremely glad to be home this weekend..but have to go back to the cold accommodation next week.

Anyway, to summarise this week at the hospital: HECTIC!

I spent a week at the acute surgical admission ward. It was really busy. There were more than 10 admissions every day. Wednesday had a record of 22 admissions, most of them came in the morning...I think about 15 of them. The whole ward was loaded wif patients until there was no bed for them to come in....so the doctors had to see the patients in the A&E. Most days, I only get home just before 8pm...and feet were aching every single night because I stood and walked alot throughout the day.

Well, I didnt have a chance to speak to every patient...but I think, I managed to see 2 patients per day. There were plenty opportunity to practise practical procedures. Although I didnt receive a lot of teaching from the consultant surgeons, but I think, I did grasp the idea and role of a Junior House Officer (JHO), which is actually the objective of this rotation.....and all i can say is, the jobs that a JHO has to do is CRAP!




No comments: