Thursday, December 08, 2011

Day 3 Neurology

It's my turn to be on-call.

Any problems or referrals from 5pm to 9am the next morning will be directed to me.

I have done so many on-calls before this. They were mainly medical on-calls, and I almost always have a senior (who is not a consultant) that I could contact easily. This on-call is different, as I am further up the pyramid, just under the consultant. So I have about 4 to 5 years of knowledge and experience to back me up. And also, I have to admit that I am a little intimidated to contact the consultant on-call with me.

I am not going to lie....I am really scared and worried about the on-call yesterday. I mean, if the ward rings me about how to manage medical issues, you know, such as pneumonia, tachycardia, sepsis, etc, it wouldn't be a problem. What I am concerned about is managing the hard core neurology things....for eg, advice on changing anti-epileptic medications, or reviewing patients with weird neurological presentations.

I know I am still very green in this field. But I can't help but worry. And also, I will no longer need to be doing the on-call on site. I will be contacted from home. Yes, it is nice not to be running around the hospital in the middle of the night. But it is also a challenge for me to be able to provide advice/opinions over the telephone. I have to learn to trust the person on the other end of the telephone. I am not saying that they will be providing me with wrong information, but you know, it is different being in the hospital (where I could easily review the patient), and listening to the condition over the telephone. I really need to get used to this.

Interestingly, I didn't get any call until 10 something at night. It was a call from A&E.

"Hello, its the neurology registrar," I mumbled.
(mind you, I struggled to say the word "registrar," which shows how much confidence I'm lacking).

"Yeah, it's A&E here. Do you remember that lady with gallstones?" asked the doctor over the telephone.

"Errm...gallstones? Who are you talking about?"

"You know, the lady with gallstones whom the urology SHO reviewed earlier?" replied the doc.

"I'm sorry. But you are speaking to the wrong person...I am from NEURO, not UROLOGY," I told her.

"Oh...haha...I'm sorry to trouble you. Thank you!"

"ok bye" I said and put down the phone, somewhat relieved it was not a neuro call.

I couldn't really sleep for the rest of the night. It was probably because I was worried that I might not hear the pager, and also, worried that if were half asleep, I would not be able to provide good advice/suggestions, and speak with a clear mind.

The rest of my on-call turned out to be a quiet one. There were no further phone calls.

Honestly, I really need to take a chill pill, and stop worrying so much!

1 comment:

Anneke Sergio said...

I was diagnosed of Herpes 2years ago and I have tried all possible means to get the cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a Herbal Doctor(Dr imoloa who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes, at first i doubted, if it was real but decided to give him a trial, when i contacted Dr imoloa through his Email: drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com he guided me and prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier Delivery service,when i received the package (herbal medicine) He gave me instructions on how to consume it, i started using it as instructed and i stop getting outbreaks and the sores started vanishing, could you believe i was cured of this deadly virus within two to three weeks and notices changes in my body. Days of using this REMEDY,couldn't believe the healing at first until i see it as my HERPES get cleared like magic Dr imoloa also use his herbal medicine to cure diseases like, HIV/aids, lupus disease, dry cough, fever, Lyme disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, alzheimer's disease, blood poisoning, measles, kidney cancer, kidney infections, diarrhoea, epilepsy, joint pain, mouth ulcer,bowel cancer, discoid eczema, eye cancer, food poisoning, fibroid, hairy cell leukaemia, mouth cancer, skin disease, lung cancer, liver disease, penile cancer, parkinson disease, arthritis, breast cancer, bone cancer hepatitis A.B.C, Diabetes, fatigue, muscle aches, anal cancer, asthma, Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbalism. via Email: drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatssapp him +2347081986098. and get cured permanently He is real..