Friday, April 04, 2008

Pink -> Blue -> White & Cold

I felt so nauseated yesterday.

It was my second day in the respiratory ward. I was not late this time. In fact, I thought the day started just fine....I began my rounds at 9 am sharp.

One patient after another, I finally arrived at a lady patient who has been having recurrent infective exacerbations of COPD. When I saw her yesterday, she was short of breath even at rest, but maintaining her sats above 90% with oxygen. She appeared anxious as well. I have been giving her some oramoph yesterday in order to reduce her anxiety and make her comfortable. Looking through her notes, I noted that her condition deteriorated yesterday. She dropped her saturations. However, she managed to improve overnight.

When I met her yesterday morning, she remained breathless but in fact, I felt she looked abit brighter and less anxious. I asked her how she was doing. She replied, "Oh much better doctor. I was abit unwell last night. But I feel so much better now." I noticed that she did not have her vital signs checked since 6 am this morning, so I asked if the nurse could repeat it. Unfortunately, her saturations were only 81%!!

I sent off her arterial blood gas and gave her some more nebulisers and oramorph. Her saturations improved. I went on to review other patients, while waiting for the results of her ABGs to come back. However, a nurse came up to me and said, "Ling, come now."

I ran over to see the same lady...and there she was, staring straight into the curtains in front of her. I caller her name many times, but she did not respond. Her breathing was laboured. I was like, "Oh no!"

I got the arrest trolley and was about to send out an arrest call...when the nurse told me that she was not for resuscitation. I knew that she was not for ITU or invasive ventilation, but I did not know she was not for CPR. I was glad, in a way, that the nurse pointed this out to me, otherwise, I would be conducting a CPR on her unnecessarily.

In a split second, I noticed her colour changed... from pink, to blue...and then, she was as white as a sheet. A second later, her tongue protruded out of her mouth. I knew her spirit had left her. I gave her high flow oxygen in a final attempt to keep her comfortable. She had an extremely slow pulse of only 1 beat every 5 seconds....and not too long after, her heart just stopped beating. Her hands suddenly felt cold to me....

I felt really sick after the whole event. I felt a lump building inside my throat and oesophagus. It was not because I was going to burst into tears...hmm, I don't know how to describe my feelings then. It was just horrible, to witness a cardiac arrest. I have seen many arrests...but this is different.... I literally watched her die. The only comfort I got was the fact that I gave her more oramorph to keep her comfy. So hopefully, she did not die painfully. I lost my appetite completely after that event.

I could not ask for a better afternoon. The rest of my day was not as bad as the day before. I went home, still thinking about this lady....may you rest in peace, my dear.

2 comments:

runaway midget said...

having fun learning on the medical wards eh? :)

you sound so cool! like what we see on House or ER... hehe!

i'm moving on to Gen Med next rotation as well... finally, away from the stressful polyclinic which made me pale everyday.

hopefully my next posting will be as colourful as yours!

sl said...

medical wards more exciting compared to psychiatry... :)

good luck in your general med posting!! :)

eh...not as cool as in House or ER la... :P