Sunday, October 07, 2007

20 minutes Makes A Huge Difference!

I'm back doing my night on calls. It wasn't unusual that I did not manage to nap prior to the start of shift. Despite me trying to sleep later over the past few nights, I would still wake up, the latest by 9 am. I think the thought of starting a night shift just makes me slightly anxious...although you would have assumed that having done it before, I would be able to anticipate how it was going to turn out.

Anyway, slight anxiety, equaled to no sleep at all. The first night is always the most difficult one. It's because the body needs to adjust itself to the different rhythm. My Friday night was quite busy....didn't have a chance to have a break at all. So by the time it was 9.40 am, which was home time, I was feeling really sleepy. I decided to have a really strong cup of coffee....I put about 1 tablespoon of coffee into a mug!! Now, that is VERY STRONG coffee for my standard.

Gulped the whole coffee down, hoping that the caffeine would keep me awake for the drive home. It was more of mind over matter, as I do not get affected by caffeine. The first 15 minute drive was alright...I was yawning every now and then, but my eyes were still very wide awake. However, with only just 10 more minutes to reaching home, my conscious level just dipped.

My eye lids felt like they were tonnes heavy! I was struggling to keep them open. I started to play the music really loud, slapped my cheeks, and started to munch on a gum. Boy...I was glad to reach home safely. It was very dangerous driving!!!

During my night shift last night, I managed to squeeze in about 20 minutes nap...and it really made a big difference. I was WIDE AWAKE while driving home. But how often do you actually get a chance to nap during a night on call....Rarely.

There is certainly no doubt that sheer tiredness while driving can kill!!! Well, my heart goes to anyone that works very long hours/night shifts.....I totally understand how sleepy you feel after work.

No comments: