Sunday, July 22, 2007

Hmmpphh!

On call over this weekend...and was hoping to leave work on time yesterday, but failed.

Someone loss her consciousness...I personally think that she has a TIA. But anyway, it wasn't so much the fact that I had to stay on to help her...it was a nurse that kind of annoyed me.

While I was sorting out this lady, a received a page from a different ward about a patient who was admitted with diabetic ketoacidosis. She said that she didn't know why the patient was prescribed with 10% dextrose, instead of the normal 5% one. And the patient's blood sugar level was now 29! Honestly, I did not know the answer to that...All I know was that the ward has a DKA protocol and we should follow it. But yeap, there isn't any 10% dextrose instruction on the protocol. So I told her to look in the notes to find out the reason for that or try giving the acute medical receiving ward a ring (patient was transferred from that ward, they would probably have a better idea about what's been going on). Her answer was, "I'm too busy...I can't phone them. But I'm worried about this patient."

Right...let me try to understand her sentence. You are too busy to give them a call, but yet you're worried?! hmm...If you are worried, you would be able to put other things aside, and phone....I told her that I was busy trying to review this lady who has lost her consciousness but will look into the matter once I'm done. She said, "He can't wait that long."

WHAT?! So he can't wait, but you still refused to phone the ward to find out...GREAT! So I told her to stop the infusions at the moment till I go to her ward.

She's a total arsehole! She really frustrated me. Hmmpphh!

No comments: