Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Macam-macam

Think this is my first post with a BM heading. These few days can be summarised as "macam-macam." Few pretty random/strange/ things happened.

1. A patient didn't get his MRI neck done. Why? The reason was "Oh, we only do MRI neck on Mondays, and since it was a Bank Holiday, patient has to wait till next week." Now...patient has already been waiting for more than 1 week for this MRI....and now he has to wait further. Great! Because of the delay in this scan, patient's transfer to rehab was delayed....and this is not good at all.

2. A patient has been pretty abusive, both physically and verbally, to the nurses and other members of the medical team. I was given the 'fun' job of accompanying him down for a CT scan, just in case he needed sedation to calm him down. At the radiology department, patient was reluctant to speak to anyone. I had to answer on his behalf. When he was asked to put his hands down by his sides, he refused to do it. But when I asked him to do it, he listened! Basically, he was listening to me. Today, he was really breathless and refused to use the nebuliser. However, when I went into his room and asked him to use it, he agreed.

hmmm...I felt really rewarded by the fact that the patient was actually listening to my advice.

3. A colleague of mine just can't stop crying all day on Tuesday. It wasn't like she was having a rough day....but I think she was being too hard on herself. She was upset about the fact that she had 7 discharge prescriptions to fill in. She was crying about a missing CSF sample. She was in tears about an urgent echo. I did not know how to console her, but I tried anyway..... Today, she again told me that she felt like crying! And I was like, "Crying will not help you solve the matter." I did not mean it in a harsh manner, but I really felt that I need to make her realise that crying is not going to make the situation any better.

4. "OUUUCCHHH!! YOU CRUEL BITCH! You like hurting people don't you?" shouted an elderly lady to me as I took some blood samples from her. I blushed as expected. I didn't mind her calling me that and it was really funny.

5. Consultant asked me, "Ling, have you seen the flat that I am planning to buy? It is off X street." "Oh ok...sure let's have a look, " I said. "Oh, you'll be my neighbour then. I live at Y street. Whoa, that is a really nice and beautiful flat." "Guess how much is it?" asked the consultant again. "Don't know." "It is about 400 thousand pounds." "Oh, that is quite pricey, considering that I am only paying 240 for my rent a month." I felt the whole conversation really awkward, because, I have seriously, never met a consultant who would share these things with me.

There you go. 5 rather random or unusual things that happened over the past couple of days.

No comments: