Friday, March 16, 2007

Red As A Tomato

Do not know if I have mentioned this before, but I was asked by my senior to do a presentation about a study for The Journal Club last Friday. But it wasn't done due to a technical error with the projector. This presentation was then pushed to today. Again, the projector wasn't working. All the consultants tried to work it. Their efforts were futile. One of the consultants kept insisting that I ruined the whole projector....and said, "May I suggest you follow the instructions on how to turn it on?"

I was like what?! I am not THAT IT illiterate. I know how to work stuff. Nevermind. I assured him that I did follow the sequence to turn it on but ain't working!

So, in the end (about 30 mins later), we decided to inform IT about it and they will fix the problem after lunch. As it was my last week in the Rheumatology, I have to present the findings of the study today, by hook or by crook.

I turned the laptop around so that it was facing everyone and began. While explaining to them about the patient selection, a consultant stopped me and asked, "What sort of general population are you talking about? Did they compare the study group of patients with RA with a controlled group of the general population?"

hmm....I just told him that it was THE general population, no criteria was set for them...you know, just the general population.

Then, after explaining the findings of the result, another consultant said, "I do not find anything surprising with the study. We all know about those. Lousy study. Why did you even choose this study to present?"

"Yeah, I think this study shouldn't even be published," said another.

*fuck

I totally turned as red as a tomato. I answered by saying that it was given to me to present so, that's it.

Well, I kept my cool and carried on. I was glad to finish it. Switched off the laptop and let the consultants discuss the topic among themselves. It was really not a very pleasant moment for me, I have to say.

Later in the morning, the consultant said to me, "Good presentation. Don't worry, we are not blaming you for the facts of the study. It was really a rubbish study and I do not think it should even make its way in the journal."

Right. Thanks.

Hope I do not have to do another for a long time!

No comments: