Friday, March 09, 2007

Junior Porter

Yesterday, I was basically working as a junior PORTER instead of a junior doctor.

In my ward, I was given the fun task of organising the weekly radiology meeting. All I need to do is get all the names and details of patients that are to be added on to the meeting and pass it to the radiology secretary. Yeap, as simple as that.

However, the radiology secretary was driving my nuts yesterday. She phoned me up and said, "Hi. Listen, can you do me a favour? Can you go to Ward 8 to collect T's x-rays, Ward 30 to get Y's, Orthopaedic reception for Z's?? I am really busy."

In my heart, I was like, "Hello?! you think I am a porter?"

Basically, the job of collecting x-rays is not mine. It belongs to the porters who are hired to do that. Why the hell are you asking me to do it?

It wasn't like I was free. I had 2 new admissions into the ward and they are my priority at that time. So politely I said, "hmm...I am actually quite busy too. Can you not ask the porters to do it?"

She answered, "Well, I kind of need them soon. Porters take ages. So, would you mind?"

I realised that there is no point in my arguing back, hence, I agreed to do it. I turned into a junior porter for a day. I walked up the stairs (it was at the 4th floor) to go to ward 8, then walked down the stairs, and climbed up the stairs to ward 30 and down again to orthopaedic reception, and walked through the looonngg corridor to the radiology department....boy, what an exercise!

The worse thing was the radiology department is MILES away from my ward. And prior to her call, I have already walked there 3 times!!! sigh.

2 comments:

greenpea said...

Junior doctors are porters, nurses, clerks, administrators, notes-summarisers but not doctors.

Sometimes I wonder, why hire those people when they are not lifting a finger.

Anonymous said...

Yea lor...
NHS is crappy at times.. so crappy that cannot tahan... say some more.. rambut also naik api!