Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Puncturing The Lumbar Spine

I am happy with myself today. =D

As a student or even as a young girl, I have always watched doctors carrying out lumbar punctures (taking some fluid out from the spinal cord for investigations), either on the telly or in the wards. I figured it was a difficult procedure, but hey, it was not that complicated afterall.

Can't stop smiling from ear to ear....why?

COZ I've done a lumbar puncture successfully! yay!!

Mind you, my first one was carried out last week. I failed miserably at that time. However many times I've tried to angle the needle in a different angle, I did not manage to get any cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from that patient. Poor lady. I have to thank her for being so patient with me. (ssshh...she didn't know that I have never done a lumbar puncture before). After about 20 minutes, my SHO decided to take over, and as expected, she got the CSF in no time.

Today, another patient required a lumbar puncture to rule out a subarachnoid haemorrhage and infection. Guess what? The CSF was pouring out after inserting the needle on my first attempt! =) hmm...lucky? I guess doing a lumbar puncture requires alot of luck and of course, some skills-lah! =P (kekeke....I know I know...I shall stop praising myself...)

I can't wait to do my next lumbar puncture!

No comments: