Friday, September 08, 2006

Just Hours Before Death

Have you ever heard that a dying man is usually more active just before he/she dies?? I think that statement is very true.

I was involved in a care of a dying man recently. He was not speaking much when I first met him. Most of the time, he tends to mumble to himself. The last day he was alive, this person became quite talkative and, in fact, verbally abusive.

I remember asking the patient how he feels. He just told me to leave him alone. Then, later on, he began to vomit a number of times and I decided to keep a closer eye on him. As I started to count his heart rate (by feeling for his pulse just about his wrist), he started scolding me. He said, "What are you doing, you stupid bitch!"

It was funny. I was actullay not offended. But the fact that a man could be suddenly so talkative. A few of my friends have told me about their experiences with the dying person and most of their stories did mention that the patients were more active on the day of their death. Weird eh?

No comments: