Saturday, February 11, 2006

I'm scared...

Right, I've just returned from Queen Margaret Hospital in Dunfermline, which is about 1.30 hours away from Dundee by train. Spent one week there learning to be a house officer. How would I summarise my experience there? simple: SCARY!!

Fingers crossed, I hope to graduate in July and would start work in August. Well, I have to say, I am excited about starting to earn my own money....But yet, at the same time, I'm feeling very very scared. Shadowing the house officers who were working there has really made me face reality.

I have found out the following about myself:

1. I CAN'T formulate a management plan for the patients in the hospital. (although i do study from books, but when i'm faced with a patient right in front of me, my brain just stops working).

2. I CAN'T remember the doses of drugs that I need to prescribe to the patients, or even how frequent they need to take it and for how long. (its a wonder how the doctors working there can just write down prescriptions effortlessly).

3. I CAN'T catch what the consultants are saying...they give instructions in such a fast manner and watever that came out from their mouth, just sounded Greek to me. What if I heard them wrongly, then, I would be doing the wrong things to the patients...and then wat will happen???

4. I DUNNO how much fluids to prescribe to the patients..and yet, I'm expected to be doing that upon graduation...

gosh...I'm just so afraid...there are just so many responsibilities to carry with me when i become a doctor...I cant even imagine myself functioning as a doctor in August...would i be doing the right things?? can i give a correct diagnosis to the patient?? sigh..i may have the knowledge, but i just dunno how to use them....

i'm now just dreading the thought of finishing medical school...i just wanna remain as a student forever..no major responsibilities...i wont be blamed if something goes wrong..coz "I'm just a student."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey...szeling here. How ya doing? I cant rmb if i congratulated you on your graduation. Had wanted to leave msg on friendster but something not so right with the server i guess.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! =D

Reading your post back in Feb, i am wondering how much you think you have changed, i.e on things that you though you "CAN'T".

It's always funny as this happen to all medical students but when time arrives, experience kicks in (meaning after some repetition in ward work...,we all will soon come to realise that all the CAN'T and DUNNO can actually be solved once we start become a doctor!)

Hey, do drop me an email when you have time so that I know where to write to you and not depend on friendster. (mc_fan_forever@yahoo.com)

Enjoy your holidays!!! =)